Lesson Plan: Bin, Bin, Drop the Trash In!
Your Kindergarten students will defeat the Litter Villain in this fun lesson.
Recycle Rally has partnered with EcoRise to bring you comprehensive, hands-on lessons focused on waste and recycling for grades K-12. Your Kindergarten students will love this recycling sortation lesson. Access the free lesson plan by clicking on the link below!
Lesson 1.1: Bin, Bin, Drop the Trash In!
In this Kindergarten lesson, “Litter Villain” sneaks into the classroom when students are away and spreads (carefully prepared) litter all over the place. When students return, they use their senses to observe the classroom and express how they feel about the litter. They don plastic gloves and work together to pick up the trash. Then, as a class, they investigate four categories of litter: plastic, paper, aluminum, and compostable plant materials. They identify the characteristics of each category by observing the size, color, texture, weight, and smell of sample items. Then they work in teams to dispose of all the trash in the room in the proper recycling or trash bins, thereby defeating Litter Villain.
The lesson concludes with a presentation that wraps up the basic concept of waste, including where it comes from, how much we generate, how it can be a big problem if it builds up, and how recycling can help.
Estimated time needed: 45–55 minutes
All lessons are mapped to CCSS, NGSS, EFS, and TEKS standards.
Students will be able to…
- Define waste.
- Recognize that humans produce waste and that it tends to pile up.
- Identify common places where waste can be found at school.
- Describe the different kinds of waste produced at school.
- Demonstrate how to separate waste for recycling.
How to Access the Free Lesson Plan
- Click the link “Get Lesson Plan” below.
- Select “I am a new user,” then enter your email address in the Username field.
- Enter your full name and then check the “I agree” box.
- Click on “Enroll in Course.”
- Check your email for a link to set your password.
Recycle Rally is a free K-12 program that provides rewards and tools to help enhance recycling at your school!Explore now
Our comprehensive library of resources was designed to inspire the next generation of green leaders.Explore now