Lesson Plan: Building Recycling Bins
Students identify types of garbage, learn how to sort it, and create their own recycling bins!
Recycle Rally has partnered with EcoRise to bring you comprehensive, hands-on lessons focused on waste and recycling for grades K-12. Your students will love learning about sorting waste and making their own recycling bins in this lesson. Access the free lesson plan by clicking on the link below!
Lesson 3.2: Building Bins
In this lesson written for grades 3-4, students learn the difference between organic garbage (which comes from natural sources and readily degrades) and inorganic garbage (which comes from human-made sources and can take a very long time to degrade). They learn the value of sorting different types of wastes so that those wastes can more easily be managed in a sustainable way. Finally, students make recycling bins and learn advocacy skills as they educate the school community about the purpose and value of the bins.
Estimated time needed: Two 50-minute sessions
All lessons are mapped to CCSS, NGSS, EFS, and TEKS standards.
Students will be able to…
- Define organic waste and identify examples.
- Define inorganic waste and identify examples.
- Explain the value of sorting garbage.
- Build recycling bins and educate the school community about the importance of recycling.
How to Access the Free Lesson Plan
- Click the link “Get Lesson Plan” below.
- Select “I am a new user,” then enter your email address in the Username field.
- Enter your full name and check the “I agree” box.
- Click on “Enroll in Course.”
- Check your email for a link to set your password.
Looking for more ways in which students can create their own recycling bins for this lesson? Use the filters on our homepage for more ideas. This hole-in-one recycling bin is one of our favorites, and it’s easy to make!