Lesson Plan: Waste Innovations
Students research options to solve waste management issues in your community.
Recycle Rally has partnered with EcoRise to bring you comprehensive, hands-on lessons focused on waste and recycling for grades K-12. This lesson written for grades 5-6 focuses on innovations in waste management. Access the free lesson plan by clicking on the link below!
Lesson 4.1: Waste Innovations
In this lesson written for grades 5-6, students learn about innovations in waste management from communities around the world. Then they work in teams to research options that would solve waste management issues specific to your community. They put together a presentation to promote their chosen option. Meanwhile, other teams role-play community leaders who are charged with selecting the most effective waste management solution for the community. This “city council” then evaluates each presentation and chooses the most compelling option for waste management in your area.
Estimated time needed: Three 50-minute sessions
All lessons are mapped to CCSS, NGSS, EFS, and TEKS standards.
Students will be able to…
- Describe the waste management hierarchy.
- Identify several innovations in waste management.
- Do research and promote a compelling waste management solution for your community.
- Evaluate the merits of other waste management solutions for your community.
How to Access the Free Lesson Plan
- Click the link “Get Lesson Plan” below.
- Select “I am a new user,” then enter your email address in the Username field.
- Enter your full name and then check the “I agree” box.
- Click on “Enroll in Course.”
- Check your email for a link to set your password.