Lesson Plan: Let's Compost!
Students will assist in creating a compost pile and create a poster showing what they’ve learned.
Recycle Rally has partnered with EcoRise to bring you comprehensive, hands-on lessons focused on waste and recycling for grades K-12. Your students will love learning how to make a compost pile in this lesson. Access the free lesson plan by clicking on the link below!
Lesson 2.2: Let’s Compost!
In this lesson written for grades 1-2, students review the types of materials that make good compost and then explore the school grounds to forage for leaves and twigs. Next, they assist while their teacher demonstrates how to use layers of organic materials to create an effective compost pile. After discussing the many benefits of compost, students then work together to create a poster that shows what they’ve learned.
Estimated time needed: 50 minutes
All lessons are mapped to CCSS, NGSS, EFS, and TEKS standards.
Students will be able to…
- Give examples of plant materials that can be composted.
- Describe how to create a compost bin.
- Share several benefits of composting.
How to Access the Free Lesson Plan
- Click the link “Get Lesson Plan” below.
- Select “I am a new user,” then enter your email address in the Username field.
- Enter your full name and then check the “I agree” box.
- Click on “Enroll in Course.”
- Check your email for a link to set your password.
Looking for more composting lessons? Check out our Create a Microcomposter in a Bottle lesson, which can be adapted for Grades 1-6.