Lesson Plan: Plastic Bottle Planter
Students convert plastic bottles into small desktop planters while learning about waste management.
Recycle Rally has partnered with EcoRise to bring you comprehensive, hands-on lessons focused on waste and recycling for grades K-12. Your students will love this hands-on upcycling lesson as they get an opportunity to create a desktop planter from a plastic bottle. Access the free lesson plan by clicking on the link below!
Lesson 6.3: Plastic Bottle Planter
The purpose of this lesson (written for grades 9-10) is both to expose students to a meaningful, practical way to reuse a common waste product, and to raise awareness of the overuse of disposable water bottles. The simple act of converting a disposable bottle into a small desktop planter allows students to express themselves in a unique way. It also serves as a friendly point of entry for students who may be intimidated by the notion of collecting, sorting, and reusing trash. The end product also makes a great gift for teachers and staff!
Tip: Supplement the lesson with these additional upcycled planters:
Estimated time needed: 55 minutes
All lessons are mapped to CCSS, NGSS, EFS, and TEKS standards.
Students will be able to…
- Design and construct a self-watering planter using repurposed materials.
- Explain how reusing materials can help us manage wastes.
- Use repurposed materials to communicate a message about waste management.
- Gain perspective about waste management by analyzing the impact that plastic bottles alone have.
How to Access the Free Lesson Plan
- Click the link “Get Lesson Plan” below.
- Select “I am a new user,” then enter your email address in the Username field.
- Enter your full name and then check the “I agree” box.
- Then, click on “Enroll in Course.”
- Check your email for a link to set your password.
Recycle Rally is a free K-12 program that provides rewards and tools to help enhance recycling at your school!Explore now
Our comprehensive library of resources was designed to inspire the next generation of green leaders.Explore now